Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Treasure Chest

I love old weathered trunks. I imagine all of the stories they must tell, the treasures they held, complete fragments of lives, in essentially a box. My husband said our trunk reminds him of his grandma. She would hold everything in her trunk including the candies he always asked for when he was little. He said hers was in way better condition though, lol. I like things "rustic." I let the fabric fray away and let the piece age in peace, along with lots of rust, which I think adds character. The minute I saw this trunk out on the curb to be picked up by the garbage truck, I hit the brakes and staked my prize until a more accommodating vehicle could pick it up, instead of my old, small convertible. I brought it home, opened it up and let it air out in the sun, which I advise you do, if you find one, on the curb, garage sale or antique shop. Depending on its' condition and value, a great idea is to drill on swivel casters. With it still being January and lots of organization resolutions still in the air, a trunk on wheels is a great storage option, which can hold a magnitude of stuff in it. After looking at what felt like endless rows of magazines caddies, I knew it was time to put them to rest and that's when I looked at the truck as the magazines' new storage spot. I saved the magazines, being time capsules between two glossy pages but didn't really reference them much after the initial read. But knew one rainy Sunday, I would love to break them out, to enjoy again. A sort of trip down memory lane. And that's when the trunk became a treasure chest of magazines. After your truck is filled with your treasures, whatever they may be, they make a nice piece of furniture, a coffee table, they look great at the end of a bed, a side table to your desk or in the entryway topped with a bouquet of flowers. Happy organizing!





No comments:

Post a Comment