Thursday, January 10, 2013

Popcorn Garland for the Birds

I like to feed the birds come wintertime. A few winters, I fed them birdseed but I would end up spilling half of it while adding it into the bird feeder and it ended up making a huge mess. And watching the squirrels eat it all anyway kind of defeated the point. Another year, I tried those suet squares, that require a special feeder but once you run out, you have to get the exact size that fit into the feeder and I haven't had a chance to get them. So this year, I thought that popcorn garland would be nice to try. It was fun to make and Daisy (the dog) got a kick out of it too as whenever a popped kernel didn't make it onto the garland and landed on the floor, she got to enjoy it. (I thought it was great too, "Easy Clean-up!" lol.) And as the holidays roll to a close and the bareness of winter comes in, it's nice to brighten up a tree up with some garland.






  • 1/3 cup popcorn kernels or more
  • thread, I used 100% cotton crochet thread
  • needle


Pop your popcorn without oil, let it cool. I cut a 6 foot piece of thread to make one strand. (You can make it longer if you like, you will have enough popcorn leftover.) I think it's easier to work in smaller sections. First tie a loop at the end of the thread and make two knots to close, so you have a little loop to hang onto the tree. Begin threading your popcorn, until all done, when you are close to the end, tie another loop with two knots to close. Hang on a tree and enjoy watching the birds come by.







No comments:

Post a Comment