Thursday, May 9, 2013

Hibiscus, Ginger & Grapefruit Cocktail

My cousin sent me a package for my birthday and did it make my heart sing. Everything in the box was a special food item and it was lovingly wrapped, so it wouldn't break. I unwrapped everything with such excitement and put it right back in the box, nestling everything back into its' square cardboard basket. I just wanted to enjoy it as it was and extend the happiness it brought to me. One of my favorite parts of Christmas was all of the wrapping paper and packaging strewn around and for some reason this is what it felt like, this treasure of mine, still in the box. And a treasure it was, Meyer lemons in olive oil, pork and poultry rub from the Golden Gate Meat Company, dark chocolate with Hungarian salami and smoked bacon (OMG), special pepperoni and olive oils and this package of hibiscus tea...I was in heaven. Have you ever seen a tea as beautiful as this one? I finally opened up the tea today and it was so delicious and makes one tasty cocktail! Enjoy!



  • 2 cups water
  • 1 inch piece ginger
  • 1 or 2 hibiscus tea bags
  • 1 teaspoon xylitol
  • 2 ruby red grapefruits, juiced
  • 2 shots of vodka
  • 2 strawberries for garnish



Use as much or as little ginger as you like. The piece I used was about half an inch thick and about two by an inch in size. Peel the outer skin of the ginger and place in the cold water and bring to a boil. Steep the hibiscus tea with the boiled ginger water. Let it cool, stir in the grapefruit, vodka and the xylitol. You can use any sweetener that you like but if using sugar or honey, dissolve while the tea is hot and then allow to cool. Divide among two glasses and garnish with the strawberries. Serves 2.




No comments:

Post a Comment