Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Turkey, Sorrel & Garlic Patties

The panic that I felt early on this year when I saw those bikinis at Target is amplified as I'm no where near bikini ready. My attempted juice fast was not as successful as I had hoped, as I cut it short. My gym sweatathons, felt great but I just love food too much and I need to make wiser choices as well as portion control. Taking advice given to me moons ago from a trusted psychic, I'm going to avoid sugar and dairy, along with my beloved gluten. (Deep, deep sigh.) Please join me as I lighten up my recipes a bit and hopefully in turn the numbers on the scale, will lighten up also. With that said, was I excited as I walked out of the door a few weeks ago, to find my sorrel growing, knowing how much flavor it adds to dishes. But since it was still chilly out, I wasn't in the mood for its' lemony fresh flavor yet. But today is a beautiful spring day, that's just perfect for all of the brightness that it has to offer. If you don't have sorrel available, substitute a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice and a little lemon zest. Enjoy!



  • 1 pound ground lean turkey
  • 1/2 zucchini finely grated, about 1/2 a cup
  • a few leaves of sorrel or more, finely chopped, plus one leaf used for garnish
  • 2-4 garlic cloves
  • sea salt
  • ground black pepper
  • cooking spray

Smash the garlic and mince finely. Sprinkle with sea salt to create a paste, using the back of the knife helps. Set aside the garlic and squeeze the the zucchini dry. Mix with the rest of the ingredients and divide into 8 patties, about a quarter to a half an inch thick. Heat up the cooking spray in a non-stick pan and cook for about 2-3 minutes per each side. These are nice piping hot or room temperature. If you aren't avoiding carbs, these would be nice as sliders, topped with sliced tomatoes and crumbled goat cheese. Garnish with slivers of sorrel. Makes 8 patties to snack on or 4 servings.




No comments:

Post a Comment