Friday, April 19, 2013

Recycle: Adopt a Shelter Pet

I saw this as a bumper sticker and I just loved it. It's just such a great message to spread. Although I didn't get Daisy from a shelter, she was there twice and in the chain reaction of it all, I'm her fourth owner. I found her in the newspaper, free, of all things. I made the call, went to visit and meet her. She had the terrier in her, that spunk and playfulness about her. After meeting her, I couldn't get her out of my mind and made the call. I wanted little Daisy, to love and to cherish. Her owner and I, decided to meet in an ice skating rink parking lot on Friday night at eight-o'clock, only a few days away. I couldn't wait. It was a fateful, dark and rainy kind of night, it was actually pouring, appropriately, like cats and dogs. We met in the parking lot and the exchange was pretty quick as in my newfound happiness, there was sorrow on his. I promised him that I would take good care of her. He had to find her another home as Daisy is a jumper and their two year old ended up on the floor quite a bit and with his wife, pregnant with baby number two, it was the right thing for their family and perfect for mine. It was a bad night to be out, so I drove slow and couldn't wait to cuddle with her. On the ride home, the crate rocked along, and I would soothe her and tell her we were almost home. She would relax and then the rocking would begin again, until she heard my voice and at red lights, I would poke my hand through the opening of the crate, in an attempt to pet her. I still can't forget how hard it was raining but we finally made it home. I brought her inside, let her out of her crate to make an inspection of her new home, while I went to get some groceries out of the car. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a black cat walking hesitantly across the yard. The grocery bag I was holding, slipped out of my hands, it being filled with glass jars, broke. I was completely soaked and as I took a closer glimpse of that black cat, it was Daisy! I must have left the door slightly ajar and the wind blew it open and she escaped. I shrieked, "Daisy!" And would you believe it, she froze and I was able to pick her up and carry her home. We spent that night, hip to hip. When I got off the couch, she watched my every move. I found it so endearing and would tell her, "I'm coming back, don't worry." I was so happy to wake up in the middle of the night to see her by my side. I fell head over heels in love with her. She is the funniest dog, imitating The Princess and the Pea with the way she manages to gather all the pillows on the couch, stack them one on top of the other, to not feel the pea, lol. (This, of course is done all within a matter of minutes, I don't know how she does it.) I think she has magical powers, especially with the spell she put over me. Happy weekend!




Daisy doing what Daisy loves best, curled up and sunbathing...


No comments:

Post a Comment