Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Dilled Bean, Collard Green & Kielbasa Stew

You wouldn't think that spring has arrived here on the east coast. It feels more like February today more than anything else. I took Daisy for a walk and were my hands freezing, as I forgot my gloves! But it's April, so I didn't think I really needed them anyway. And at one point of our walk, I wish that I had a hat on, also. But this kind of chilly weather is perfect for a stew! This is a nice stew that will use up any leftover ham from Easter and use a quick soak method for the beans, if you want to make this for a late night dinner. While this stew is really hearty, the dill gives it that touch of spring. Enjoy!




  • 1 pound Great Northern beans, soaked overnight.
  • 5 cups water
  • 1 bunch of collard greens, about 8 loosely packed, heaping cups. (Remove the center stem of the leaves, just cut down alongside the center stem and pile the leaves on top of each other cutting them roughly)
  • 1 cup chopped kielbasa
  • 1 cup chopped ham
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 5 cloves of garlic, smashed and minced
  • 1 Campari tomato, minced
  • 3 heaping tablespoons minced dill
  • 1/2 teaspoon tomato paste
  • about 5 juniper berries
  • sea salt
  • ground black pepper


In a large Dutch oven, combine the olive oil and the garlic and on low heat lightly saute for 5 minutes until the garlic is soft, you don't want to let it brown. Stir in the beans, juniper berries, a pinch of sea salt and the water, cover and bring to a boil on high heat. (You don't want to add too much salt, because it depends on the saltiness of the kielbasa and ham.) Once it boils, lower the heat to the lowest setting and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Next, toss in your collard greens, kielbasa, ham, tomato and tomato paste and simmer for half and hour, stirring occasionally. (You can use either kielbasa or ham and it will be equally delicious. And if you have leeks on hand, you can also throw in a cup of finely chopped leeks.) Adjust the seasoning, adding pepper and salt if needed and stir in the dill. Discard the juniper berries and garnish with fresh dill. Serves 6.





2 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! I love your recipes and I think you should publish a cookbook. The one for the soup with leftover ham looks so good, but I gave my ham to my Easter guests! I still have the ham bone though, so all is not lost--I held on to the best part! Keep the blog going and I look forward to many more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! :) Yes, you do have the best part! That would work great in this recipe! I hope you enjoy, maybe adding in some extra kielbasa would be nice!

    ReplyDelete