Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Savory Steel Cut Oats with Calamari in Tomato Sauce

I wanted something quick  for dinner one night and I found myself reaching for the steel cut oats tin??? And I know what you're thinking, "Oatmeal for dinner?" I thought the same thing, until the one night I found myself cooking it ...and adding salt and ground pepper (I've graduated to adding saffron threads, really yummy). And then I topped it with calamari in tomato sauce! And what happened that night was an oatmeal-for-dinner-lover was born! And I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
  • 1 pound of calamari, however you like it, I use a mix of tubes (cut into rings) and tentacles. 
  • about a half a cup, or more of good marinara sauce, if I don't have any homemade on hand, I use Victoria's
  •  fresh garlic or garlic powder, ground pepper, fresh basil, if you have any on hand 
  • steel cut oats, (1 cup of water to 1/4 cup of oats will make a 1/2 cup cooked)
Use whatever you like to coat your pot, a little butter and olive oil is nice. Add your tomato sauce and spices, cover and bring it to a simmer. Add your calamari and cook until opaque. It doesn't take long, sometimes I cover the pot, to speed up the cooking process. Stir it a few times to make sure the heat is distributed evenly. I usually start cooking the steel cut oats, while I add the calamari, to the tomato sauce. When your oats are done, spoon them into a nice roomy bowl and top with your garlicy calamari in tomato sauce. Top with any additional freshly ground pepper or fresh basil. This can nicely serve 6 people.



2 comments: