Monday, April 16, 2012

Homemade Butter

 Homemade butter is so easy to make! All you need is heavy cream and a hand held mixer. I chose to keep mine simple and unsalted. Besides "churning" butter (shaking it for a long time in baby food jars) in third grade and spreading it on saltines, (the best day EVER, that school year) this is a new first for me! I started out using a whisk lol, and tired myself out, asking my husband to help me, lol. He calmly brought out the hand held mixer, and I was in business. Butter was being made, quickly, deliciously, almost effortlessly, in front of my eyes. The recipe is simple, I used a small amount of heavy cream, about a 3/4 cup. And "churned" it, until it formed a thick cream. The thick cream turning into a separation of creamy colored butter and liquid, which I later learned was buttermilk. I lined a colander with a paper towel, and squeezed the buttermilk out. And turned the butter out onto wax paper, formed it, wrapped it up, labeled it and added a bow. Going to pasta night at a friends' house? It's a great little hostess gift! And who doesn't love fresh homemade butter on their bread?



No comments:

Post a Comment