Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Trashy Treasure

I went for a walk, one early Saturday morning, and saw this green jem in the trash. The excitement I felt so quickly, gave me heartburn. All the possibilities of this piece of furniture, came rushing to my head. I looked at it closely, it indeed, was in the trash, black garbage bags, some metal and broken chairs surrounded it. I fell in love with it immediately. I would arrange my living space, to fit it if I had to. Now to most people, I'm sure it didn't look very exciting. But I guarded it with my life, in my workout clothes, acting like a security guard, in a high-end jewelry store. Eyeballs going left and right, as quickly as they could, so no one would swipe my treasure under my watch. A call was made, the getaway car came quickly and my green gem was in the car to be taken inside to be deep cleaned and doted on. This was my first rush of finding treasures in the trash, the next was a beautifully distressed chest. Seeing a similar one at an antique shop for $900 a few days later, gave me a sense of satisfaction and rationalized my garbage picking activities. Two summers ago, I found two sun washed deck chairs, which will be a DIY project one day. As the saying goes, "One persons' trash is another persons' treasure". And the real treasure here is reclaiming something truly beautiful that would have ended up in a landfill. Re-using, re-purposing, green all the way.





No comments:

Post a Comment