Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Black Beans with Guanciale

Guanciale...I had no idea what it was until this past Sunday, when I googled it; found out and was confused, yet excited enough to put it in my basket for purchase. Pork cheeks. Hmm...Standing in the supermarket staring at this package with a little bewilderment, I thought to myself, this fatty piece needs to be in a pot of black beans, even though I never tried it or have even cooked with it before. But it somehow reminded me of authentic Spanish black beans with pieces of pork and thought this new discovery could be a very nice substitute. Boy, was I wrong in leaving this guanciale in a dicey chunk form. Thinking that I love a good chunk of pork in my beans, why not a chunk of pork cheek? This is a creation of another form, flavorful but only in thin slices or in small bites, not chunks. And when I started cooking with it, thinking it was similar to bacon that it would melt and give off a fat to saute the garlic and onions in, I was wrong. It strangely stayed in chunk form but turned translucent, almost like frying jello. I never saw anything like this before and it required a slight do over that was worth the extra effort and made a magical pot of beans. Enjoy!




  • 1 pound dried black beans, soaked overnight
  • 4 1/2 cups water
  • 1/2 pound finely diced guanciale
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 cup finely chopped onion, (1 medium)
  • 5 cloves of garlic or more
  • 1 cubanelle pepper, finely diced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • pinch dried epazote
  • 1 teaspoon fruity balsamic vinegar
  • sea salt
  • ground black pepper


The package that striked my fancy in the first place that was laying among an assortment of cheeses, salamis and sausages:



The piece of meat that they call "Guanciale" that had me at hello:



The chunks that were a mistake, despite their initial allure:




To make your black bean magic, in a large Dutch oven, combine the guanciale and the olive oil, saute until translucent, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Next add in the onions, garlic and cubanelle pepper and saute another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in your beans and add in the water, bay leaf, sea salt and the epazote. Cover and bring to a boil on high heat. Once your beans have come to a boil, lower the heat to low and simmer covered for 50 minutes, stirring occasionally as once the water reduces, your beans can stick to the bottom of the pot. Stir in your balsamic vinegar, (I used an apple balsamic vinegar) and adjust the seasoning adding salt and black pepper as needed. Simmer for another 10 minutes. This is even better the next day! Serves 6.




No comments:

Post a Comment