Friday, December 7, 2012

Snowball Wreath

So hard to believe but I haven't started decorating for Christmas yet. These pictures are from last year. They say when inspiration strikes, you should act on it and I'm glad I did because last year I was so drawn to wreaths made out of felt "snowballs". And I was so inspired by them, I decided to make one at home, out of a variety of yarn and Styrofoam spheres. (This year I'm obsessed with plaid, I wouldn't be "in the flow" to make this kind of wreath this time around.) But I do love it and it's inspired me to do some decorating this weekend. I do wish I had more step-by-step pictures but I'll explain how to make it! It's was pretty easy and fun. Great for a weekend project! Speaking of...Happy weekend everyone!






For this wreath you will need:
(all found at your local craft store, except for the holly)
  • 1 16 inch Styrofoam ring or smaller
  • 4 different types of white, or ivory yarn
  • one of those Styrofoam galaxy kits (you will probably have some spheres left over)
  • a variety of different size Styrofoam balls, a few 3 1/2 - 4 inch, 3 inch and 2 inch, about (four each)
  • a glue gun
  • fresh holly to tuck in between the snowballs 



First, you want to begin wrapping your Styrofoam ring with one of the yarn. (The plainest and least expensive is best, it's just the form to glue your snowballs to.) You want to wrap evenly and end it with a knot. (You will probably do this a few times, not consecutively.) Make sure your ring is covered as best as possible, wrapping the yarn close as possible around the ring. Depending on what kind of galaxy kit you get, how large and how small of a variety and how many will depend on how many different size Styrofoam balls you will need. For a 16 inch ring, I used a total of about 47 balls, with about four being 3 1/2 - 4 inch big,  four 3 inch and four 2 inch with the rest coming from the galaxy kit. You want to wrap each ball with each of the different yarns. It's nice to get a variety. I got one very thick, one very thin, one with texture and one pretty plain one. Once you are in the craft store, you'll see what the selection is. You want them the same color but the texture of the yarn to give it interest. You will really need 8 large snowballs (the 3 1/2 to 4 inch) and the rest are fillers to your wreath. That's where the galaxy kit comes in, with its' variety of sizes. I worked in fours. Separating the ball sizes and dividing them each into four, and then wrapping each size in the variety of yarn. Just begin wrapping your ball, working in one direction then changing direction so the yarn stays on securely and you want to knot it at the end. (I really hope I'm explaining this good enough. Once you have everything in front of you, it will come together much easier than it sounds.) Lay your ring down and you want to only work of the surface of it. Begin pretty randomly hot gluing your largest snowballs on, with enough space in between to make it even and with the next largest being worked in between, balancing on the outer and inner edges. Continue hot gluing the smaller snowballs until the wreath is complete. (Until you are happy with it.) Hang your wreath on a long nail and enjoy!







3 comments: