Monday, December 10, 2012

Burlap Wine Wrap

I have a reoccurring fantasy this time of year, where I am calmly wrapping gifts (beautifully, with crisp edges and lots of fluffy, curled ribbon) as the fire is crackling, Christmas music is playing, as I take sips of wine and relish in some of the preparation of the season. Taking a twirl as I place each wrapped gift under the tree. (I'm also in a sexy dress and high heels, I'm thinner and it's snowing out. Juicy fat flakes, slowing falling before the window.) But the fantasy never becomes reality. I'm always rushed when it comes to wrapping gifts, usually wearing sweat pants, eyeing the clock and the roast in the oven. Running in circles. Usually, wrapping presents Christmas morning. Sometimes I like pressure and beating the clock. (Time always wins.) And through the years, I have found interesting ways to wrap gifts as sometimes, (gasp) I've ran out of paper. So, for the much loved gift of wine, burlap is a great, (compostable by the way) alternative to the wine bag or box, which are beautiful but the burlap takes on a natural beauty and ends up making it extra special.








For the burlap wine wrap, measure out a 12x12 (you may need a bigger piece depending on the height of the bottle) piece of burlap. For a neater look, cut along the natural threads in the fabric to reduce fraying. Line up the bottom of the wine bottle with the end of the burlap, with the back of the wine bottle facing the opening. Take your ribbon of choice, either a shiny satin ribbon, natural jute or textured yarn and tie a knot, leaving a two inch tail.








With the yarn, (about 6 feet in length) wind it around the bottle making a design. Tie the end of the yarn with the tail and trim the ends. Next, tie a small knot at the neck of the bottle and tie it closed. Tie in a fresh piece of holly or greenery and trim the end. For the tag, I use a paper bag. Cut a 3x4 piece of the paper bag and rip the edges (for a more organic look) and fold in half. Write your message inside and the lucky persons' name on your tag. You can crumple and hand iron it to give it more of a rustic look. (That happened by default too, as the only paper bag I had was tightly wound up for kindling, lol) Use a hole punch to create your opening for the yarn and tie into the neck of the bottle. Happy wrapping! ;)


2 comments: