Monday, February 11, 2013

Persimmon Juice with 5-Spice Powder

Happy Year of the Snake! The Chinese new year is here and I love new year celebrations because of the promise that only a new year brings. A shiny, fresh slate. What the year of the snake promises, I'm not too sure but when I was waiting for our Chinese food takeout to be completed, a few weeks ago, I asked the lady at the counter what the year of the snake entails, she kind of shook her head and said, "Not too good..." and laughed a little. I laughed too and she was nice enough to bring out one of the cooks to elaborate on the not so positive snake year. I said, "So...the snake year isn't too good, huh?" He also shook his head and said something along the lines of, many changes can happen suddenly. I imagine the sudden changes being similar to a snake minding its' own business, slithering along, maybe a hiss here and there and then he spots an intruder...and the snake strikes. That can be a sudden change. So, I take the year of snake, as a year to not make sudden moves, if you don't have to and maybe stay away from jungles, just to be on the safe side. In years past, I loved celebrating with some great Chinese food and maybe brushing up the feng shui around the house. One year, I was lucky enough to be in Chinatown in NYC on the New Year. The energy is electric and it's just a great time. But this year, being my juice-detoxing self lately, (although, it's become harder and I need to re-focus), I think I will recommit with the Chinese new year, sipping on a juice spiked with a little 5-spice powder. It's delicious with any kind of fruit juice including cucumber, warming the juice with the flavors of anise, ginger, cinnamon, fennel and black pepper. Enjoy and may the year of the snake be good to you, with positive sudden changes, like winning the lottery!





  • 3 ripe persimmons, juiced
  • 2 oranges, juiced
  • 1 cup green tea, cooled
  • pinch of 5-spice powder


Combine all of the juices and the 5-spice powder and stir well. Serves 1.


No comments:

Post a Comment