Thursday, February 7, 2013

A Gnome Just Looking for Love...

As every year goes, when it comes the gnomes, they just appear, sometimes they all come back at once, other times, they make a slow appearance, one by one. When, is hard to say though, they are unpredictable. I've seen them arrive as early as April and the latest in June. That year was the worst, they really slacked off and my garden really suffered, everything bloomed late, if at all. I loudly told them they weren't welcome next year. But being gnomes, they just know, that I was venting and didn't mean it. So, the following spring, they were here in early April and it was the prettiest garden I've ever had. And as they appear, they just poof, disappear. It happens like clockwork, the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I've always found it weird being the Saturday after. Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Black Friday shoppers? It's just too much of a coincidence. But the date of their departure, I can bet on. I think they have some kind of Gnome Convention they have to get to. I imagine it's in a warm and sunny location, like Hawaii or Tahiti. (I know if I were a gnome, that's where I would go, beaches, blue water and pina coladas...) So, you can imagine my surprise as I came home today to find a gnome house. In the snow, with a snow storm on its' way? I rubbed my eyes. Was I just seeing things? Wishful thinking? No, it was indeed there, like it never disappeared in the first place...




I had to get the gnome detective herself, Daisy, my dog. She will find them, no matter where they are hiding. One day, last summer, she was pacing back and forth, she wanted to go out. We just got back from our morning walk and I thought it was so strange that she needed to go out again but took her anyway. Sure enough, she was leading me with determination, to a mossy covered rock, about a block away. She sniffed it, looked up at me and did her little dance. I bent down to get a closer look and guess who jumped out? You guessed it, a little red capped cutie. I didn't ask but I suspect he just wanted some attention. We all have those moments, aware of them or not. So, Daisy lead him back home and we made him feel extra special, planting a little mossy grass next to his little house. We all need a little pick me up now and then, gnomes included. So, after I got over my initial shock of seeing this fresh arrival, I went inside and put Daisys' leash on. She rushed outside and her little nose was busy at work, close to the ground, getting snow on it and all, making snorting sounds with her deep focus. It wasn't long before she found him and there he was, up in the tree. He looked as sad as a Basset hound, sitting on his mushroom, in deep thought.




I wondered to myself, "What was he was doing back so early?" And why did he look so very sad? At first, I wasn't exactly sure but it became apparent as I looked around. The door to his house had a heart shaped handle and there were red flowers in the window boxes. With Valentine's Day a week away, it became clear that this little guy is just looking for love...He wants to find his Valentine. And I hope cupid helps him out, everyone deserves a little love on Valentine's Day, gnomes included. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment