Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Onion Skin Dyed Eggs

When I was little, I knew that Easter was coming just by looking in the onion basket. When there were lots of extra loose onion skins among the onions, I knew my mom was saving them for dyeing eggs. I always looked forward to this, as her eggs were always the prettiest I've ever seen, deep in color. And, maybe it's just my imagination but it makes the eggs taste better. She always made them early on Saturday morning to be put in the Easter basket to be blessed. I always managed to have one before we left to church with copious amounts of my favorite mustard. I'm not sure if it was the egg I really wanted or the mustard, I think the mustard. Lol, either way, enjoy!




Pile the onion skins into a stainless steel pot with a tight fitting lid. (You don't want to use a Dutch oven for your onion skin dyeing. I made that mistake once, not thinking and the onion skin did dye it a little bit, but with time it did come off.) Cradle the eggs into the skins. (I think the more skins the better but this was all I had in my onion basket.)




Cover with cold water, enough to completely cover the eggs. Cover with the lid and bring to a boil. Once the water comes to a boil, take the heat off and let it sit in the water with the skins until the water cools. Once the water cools, remove the eggs from the water and allow to dry on a plate, one that is not light colored. Store in the refrigerator. Serve with mustard, mayonnaise or any condiments you like.




No comments:

Post a Comment