Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Ugli (Pretty) Fruit Brulee

I detest that this pretty colored fruit is called ugly. "Can I have that ugly fruit over there?" I ask the guy at the fruit stand. It doesn't sound right and I can't imagine it encourages the young ones to bite into an ugly fruit-unless it's cool or something. "Yeah let's hang out and eat some ugly fruit and watch movies?" Am I over thinking this? Lol, maybe but I really like this fruit with an ugly name. Not only is it's color pretty but it's tasty with it being a mix of citrus flavors. And I think it's beautiful enough to serve for dessert. Enjoy!




  • 1 ugli pretty fruit
  • 1 teaspoon sugar


Cut your pretty fruit in half and if needed, trim the bottom so it sits better on your board. Sprinkle the sugar evenly over your fruit halves. (I tried both regular sugar and raw and the regular sugar worked better.) Now the fun part, torch that baby until it starts sizzling and bubbling. I used a Bernzomatic torch with the flame about 3-4 inches away from the surface of the fruit, waving it back and forth slowly so the sugar caramelizes. (When working with your torch please follow all safety precautions.) This could be great when having company over, just use a kitchen torch for a more classier look, lol. ;) Serve a half per person with a scoop of a citrusy gelato on the side with a little mint as a garnish.






No comments:

Post a Comment