Friday, May 11, 2012

My Dirty Cookbook

I know it looks pretty clean on the outside, the only reason being that I lovingly covered it in craft paper when I got it, to protect it. But on the inside, you'll find some food stained pages. The edges of the book also stained in some evidence, of recipe creation. It's okay if your cookbooks are dirty, it means they've been enjoyed. I remember making a prime rib roast (pg.649), reading through the precision of it, so excited when it came out just right for the holidays. And making Sauerbraten (pg.668) reading, and re-reading the steps. Wrinkling the pages with my sweaty palms of excitement and anticipation, making sure I was following it right, while nibbling on a ginger snap cookie. Wow, that is a great recipe! Salmon Fillets Roasted in Butter (pg. 551) was another classic recipe I made, no matter how many times I made it, I would forget the temperature, having to look in the cookbook once more, probably spreading some butter on that page in the process somehow, lol. Artichokes (pgs. 339-40) fascinated me. But I didn't know how to trim them, following step by step, gave me my first cooked artichoke, and my love for them. Flan (pg.1015) I can't forget the flan, it made so many people smile! And so, many years later, the brown cover has been removed, it doesn't need to be protected anymore. It needs to be revealed, knowing that if it gets a little dirtier, it's okay. It's telling a few more stories of meals and memories shared. What's your dirty cookbook?


No comments:

Post a Comment