Wednesday, May 30, 2012

In Love with Lupine

This is my first spring in love with Lupine. I'm not sure yet if it's going to be a fling or a long trusting relationship. Every year I fall in love with a different flower or plant. Not knowing how we will grow together. Will it bloom, die out quickly like bright poppies or linger for a long sweet time like hostas, growing ever so slowly. I feel secure with them, I can count on them, they come back every year faithfully. My first love that has lasted year after year is Sweet Kate Spiderwort. Bright lime green leaves with violet blue flowers, that open up at different intervals. Having a few Sweet Kates in the garden already, I wanted to add more and I caught the last plant of the season at the nursery. I asked the nice lady if she could hold if for me. I had some errands to run, afraid beautiful Kate would die in the hot steamy car. The nice lady said, "I'm sorry...I really can't hold any plants..." I think the look of fear in my eyes changed her mind. "But I guess if I put it...back here, it's not really...on hold and...if you come back quickly..." I assured her, "I will, I will!" Anything for Kate. Her leaves were already badly sun burned, I wanted to take care of her as she takes care of me, making me happy most of the summer. I was ready to leave and so there stood Lupine, proud and tall. I have never seen her before. She was stunning. I had to have her in my garden. Checking to see if we were compatible, yes we were. She accepted the only condition that I had: part-shade and I would be cautious with her being that some varieties are potentially poisonous. It was a match. We are still getting to know each other. She's very passionate, growing quickly. Her blue spike unfolding beautifully, and the small buds following. She brings such a beauty to my little patch of flowers, I can't get enough of her. So we'll see where this goes, only time will tell. I try to impress Lupine, sweet talking her, telling her how gorgeous she is, how happy I am that she is here, tending to her leaves and picking off any faded flowers. I hope Lupine has a long growing season so I can enjoy her in the garden but I will accept however she grows and do whatever I can so she sticks around longer.


Lupine, Lupinus x hybrid 'The Governor'
 According to her marker, lupines are perennials that like sun or part-shade. They bloom late spring to summer. Plant Lupines 18" apart and they grow 24-36" tall. Water weekly during dry spells. Hardiness zones are zone 4 to zone 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment