Friday, June 29, 2012

Gnome in the House!

I had a dream that there was a gnome in the house! He was running around the living room, giggling. I didn't know what it meant, until now, he just wanted to come in! So I had to make him a home and I knew exactly what would make him happy. I walked into a west elm store the other day and did I leave inspired! I always do though, it's such a cool place! And among all the coolness, they had air plants. "Tillandsia" was just hanging out and I had to know more about her. One of the nice and knowledgeable people that work there, explained to me that they don't have root systems and are actually parasites! They need a little mist, here and there. Sounds good to me, a plant that can take care of itself! lol. There was also a great book about these awesome little terrarium worlds by twigterrariums, great book to have on your coffee table. You can check out them out at http://www.twigterrariums.com/ for some great inspiration! West elm also has a great how to guide for terrariums along with cool glass terraium containers that you can check out at http://www.westelm.com/. I thought it would be fun to combine the the two worlds, the mossiness of the terrarium and the air plant just hanging out. The curls of the leaves rest on the edge of the glass securely. To happy terrarium making! :)




 This is what you need to get this gnome house:
  • 1 clear glass cylinder, 6x6
  • 2 pounds of decorative sand, I used terra cotta color
  • about an inch of terrarium potting mix or sterilized potting mix
  • moss top layer
  • 1 Tillandsia air plant
  • 1 happy gnome
  • 1 mushroom
Start layering your cylinder with the sand or you can use decorative rocks or both. Followed by the potting mix on top of the sand or rocks. Lastly by the moss on top of the potting mix. I just went into the yard and scooped up some moss from the lawn but they do sell little mossy pots at garden nurseries, meant to creep between stone paths. Drape your air plant over the side of the cylinder, the bottom doesn't have to touch the moss, it can just hang out and invite your little gnome in! ;)



He's napping already! :) Tillandsia needs bright light but not direct sunlight. Mist to water twice weekly. Protect from frost.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment