Thursday, June 21, 2012

Ceviche

Lime juice drenched fish topped with lots of cilantro cools you down, on a hot summer day. Temperatures are sweltering and the idea of putting the stove or grill on is making me sweat. The first time I had this, I fell in love, it's so refreshing. And it's so simple to make too. My best friend from high school is from Peru and I was obsessed with how to make this, I had to know. She explained to me that the fish gets "cooked" by the lime juice. I couldn't believe it, so simple and delicious. And ever since I had that first bite of ceviche, it became a favorite of mine at Peruvian restaurants, especially when topped with a spicy green sauce and washed down with a blue corn drink. Craveable! Stay cool and enjoy!



  • 1 pound tilapia
  • 2 cooked ears of corn, trimmed and cut into fourths
  • a few cooked potatoes
  • 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
  • 7 limes
  • sea salt
  • cilantro
Cut your tilapia down the middle of each fillet, and then at a diagonal about 1/2 inch thick. I just follow the lines on the fish, a natural ruler, lol. Put your fish in a glass pan or bowl and salt it. I like to use a flat pan to ensure every piece of fish gets lime juice coverage. :) Juice your limes, make sure that you pick juicy limes, that "give" a little when you squeeze them. Cover your fish with the lime juice. Put your sliced onion in a small bowl and cover with hot water, let it sit five minutes, rinse with cold water and add to your fish. Refrigerate for about 3 hours, once the thickest piece is opaque, your fish is ready to eat. While your fish is "cooking" you can cook your corn and potatoes and let them cool. Assemble your ceviche, topping with lots of cilantro.



No comments:

Post a Comment