Saturday, June 2, 2012

Rib Eye Steak with Roquefort Cheese

I feel a little guilty expressing how much I like a grilled rib eye steak especially because I was a vegetarian for three years. It was a great experience because it taught me discipline. I stuck to it 100%, no matter what.  And as far as cooking goes, it teaches you to be open and creative. I have an appreciation for eggplant that I may have not had if I wasn't a vegetarian for some time. It enabled me to create new dishes out of old inspirations. Portabella mushrooms became steaks. Grilled eggplant sandwiches with hummus became a staple and beans were glorified and made delicious. So I don't mind meatless Mondays or Fridays. But nevertheless, I ended my vegetarian days. And enjoy a steak now and then especially when it's paired up with buttery avocado, tart fig sauce and pungent blue cheese. Serve with a mixed greens salad tossed with an olive oil vinaigrette and it's a perfect dinner to share with someone special.

  • 1 or 2 bone-in rib eye steak
  • 1 ripe room temperature avocado, cut into sections
  • olive oil for drizzling
  • 1/3 cup fig marmalade
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • Roquefort cheese, room temperature

In a sauce pan combine the fig marmalade and the balsamic vinegar, bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring often. It will begin to thicken and once done, set aside. Heat the grill until it is 500 degrees. Make sure your steak is seasoned with sea salt and pepper and allowed to rest at room temperature. Spread a little olive oil on your steak before you throw it on the grill. Cook your steak however you like it, rare, medium or well-done. This came out medium-rare, about 5 minutes each side. While your steak is resting, assemble your plate. Drizzle olive oil on your avocado and season with salt and pepper. Add your cheese, fig sauce, steak and enjoy! Have a happy weekend everyone! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment