Monday, July 2, 2012

Homestyle Red, White & Blue Salad

Time is just flying by, I can't believe half of the "new" year is already over and we are in July. The fourth is just a few days away! Time for barbecues, dips in the lake, fireworks and good times to celebrate Americas' independence. When I was a little kid, I went through a "food separation stage," lol, you know what I talking about, where all your food had to be separate on the plate. My mashed potatoes could not touch the corn and the corn could not touch the meatloaf and gravy. That meeting on the plate equalled getting the cooties, lol. As I got a little older, I got over that stage and secretly loved when my potato salad and my macaroni salad met. A little potato with macaroni creaminess...Mmm. So if you have that little secret love too, this is a great salad to make for your Fourth of July celebration.

  • 1 1/2 pounds purple potatoes, cubed (about an inch in size) and cooked
  • 1 1/2 pounds red potatoes, skin left on, cubed and cooked
  • 1 pound of trottole pasta, or any fun pasta that is about an inch in size, cooked al dente
  • 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
  • 3/4 cup grated carrots
  • 3 soft boiled eggs, finely chopped
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 heaping teaspoon deli style mustard
  • 2 heaping tablespoons relish
  • a few splashes Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon Vegeta or any all purpose seasoning that you like

Combine all of your ingredients well and adjust the seasoning, if needed. This salad is even better when it's left to sit overnight in the fridge, so the flavors get to mingle. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment