Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Scallion Lovers' Appetizer

This was my favorite after school snack. I used fresh soft Portuguese rolls, it was actually a green onion sandwich. My mom used to get butter from a small little grocery store where he would cut the butter from a big smooth creamy yellow slab that he kept behind the counter. He would weight it and was it a piece of heaven on fresh bread! And sauteing the scallions in the butter was pure bliss. I was sad when he closed the little shop and now every time I pass where that cute little grocery store was, I'm saddened and can't help think, "If only we bought more butter, maybe he would have stayed open." lol. Sigh. As a little kid, I loved running my fingers over the spice rack. He carried "Spice Islands" brand. I thought they were such pretty glass bottles. Another thing I remember now, he never aged. I think the secret may have been that big creamy slab, lol. Sigh, am I kicking myself for not asking him where he got his butter! ;)




  • 1 ciabatta bread, cut horizontally
  • 1 large bunch scallions, trimmed and cut into 2 inch sections
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 paper thin slices honey ham *optional
  • mayonnaise

In a pan on low heat, melt your butter and once it begins sizzling, add your scallions. Take some extra caution when tossing the scallions in because the butter can splatter. Allow your scallions to saute over low heat. Stir often, as they can burn quickly. This takes about 10 minutes. Once you see a few brown pieces and the lower white part of the scallion is tender, they are done. Use the bottom half of the loaf and reserve the top for a sandwich or two or you could level out the top so it sits evenly and double the recipe. On your bread spread some mayo so every inch is covered. Next take your ham slices and lay them over the mayo and then spread your scallions over your ham. I made it mostly without the ham, and I loved it. So you can skip the ham, either way it's yummy. With a good knife cut your bread into 9 pieces. This can be messy but worth it. This serves about 4 people. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment