Thursday, October 4, 2012

Rib Eye Steak with Anchovy Butter

Halloween is around the corner and it's a time of fright. And for some reason, it reminded me of the few foods that frightened me as a little kid, those being bloody steaks, anchovies and  raw egg yolks. Bloody steaks always made me squirm in my seat, so much, that I gave up eating meat for a while, altogether. And when I found out what anchovies actually were, I thought to myself, "How can you put fish on a pizza pie?" But now, I appreciate anchovies and I've even topped my pizza with them and added blue cheese on top of that, lol. Now that's scary. (Now that I think about it, blue cheese freaked me out too, those moldy looking blue veins deeply embedded in a creamy white cheese, frightening.)  And my last fright being, over easy eggs. Mainly they grossed me out, almost as much as a gory horror film. But now, I enjoy over easy eggs and think they can make almost everything taste better. So in honor of the foods that once frightened me, they are gathered together in one dish. Once you break that yolk and it melts into the steaks' juices and it blends with the anchovy butter, it's not that scary anymore, lol. ;)






  • 1 14 oz. rib eye steak, bone in
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste, you can always use more
  • lots of fresh ground black pepper
  • 1 raw egg yolk, reserve the egg white for another use
  • olive oil
  • sea salt


Begin "churning" your heavy cream with a hand held immersion blender for about 10 minutes, until the liquid separates from the butter. I used a paper towel to strain the liquid from the butter, squeezing gently. Take your butter left in the towel and transfer it to a small bowl. Add in the anchovy paste and pepper, mixing with a fork. Place your anchovy butter onto a small piece of parchment paper, forming it with a spatula into a small log. Roll up your butter with the parchment paper. You can place it seam down on a small plate or tie it with kitchen twine. Place in the freezer for about 15 minutes to set it and then into the fridge, while you grill your steak. Alternatively you can use 4 tablespoons softened unsalted butter and mix in the anchovy paste and pepper, followed by the freezer. Rub a little olive oil on both sides of your steak and season with sea salt. Grill your steak to your liking and let it rest for 5 minutes. Top with a pat of anchovy butter and the raw egg yolk. If you want a little more saltiness, you can top with a few salt packed capers.
Enjoy and please take extra caution whenever eating foods raw. Start with a nice Cesar salad and crusty bread. Have the extra anchovy butter on the side, for your bread. This serves 2. It's a nice steak to share.






No comments:

Post a Comment