Thursday, May 3, 2012

Salty Garlic Clams

I had dinner plans tonight, but they got cancelled. (deflated sigh) I had my meal planned already, lol An appetizer of Mussels Josephine as my entree with a seltzer and lemon, no bread. I saved my calorie intake for the day to really enjoy my mussels. And so my taste buds were anticipating a salty shellfish dish, and they didn't let up, so I made a salty clam dish to substitute. I've made this before, and I feel I need to put a disclaimer out there. This is a supreme trinity of salt, clams and garlic. I used cherrystone clams which are saltier vs. littleneck, which are sweeter, so if you prefer littleneck, use 2 dozen. The dish, not shy with any of its' flavors, all of them bold and representing themselves equally. The briny saltiness of the clams marries beautifully with the sweet tomato wine sauce. So if you are craving a salty, slightly sweet garlicky clam dish, this one is for you.




  • 1 dozen cherrystone clams, scrubbed clean
  • 9 cloves of garlic, crushed and minced fine
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup Moscato wine
  • 1/3 cup good marinara sauce, I used Victoria's

On low heat combine the olive oil and garlic. The secret to cooking garlic so it doesn't burn, is low heat, and lots of stirring. Cook the garlic for 10 minutes. Add your wine and tomato sauce, bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 10 more minutes. Bring the heat up to medium/high and add your butter and clams till they pop open, about 15 minutes. Serve with some crusty bread, to soak up all the salty clam broth. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment