Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Breakfast for Breakfast or for Dinner

I was never a breakfast loving person, except for the one Sunday morning, I convinced my mom to put bacon in the pancake mix. Then, I loved breakfast, but it was short lived, going back to cereal pretty quickly. But I tried to avoid it like the plague. lol Little by little, I began to enjoy breakfast on early Sunday mornings. Then going to a small breakfast spot in San Francisco going years back, changed everything. It was a savory, honey butter on homemade buttermilk biscuits, chicken sausages with grits, rosemary was somewhere on the menu, type of breakfast place. It was a meal-meal. Eggs were celebrated in a way, I have never experienced before. I wish I knew the name of the place, so I could share it, but to my dismay, I don't remember, just knowing it was in the Tenderloin area. OK! So I called the hotel I stayed at years ago and after a little research, I found out it's Dottie's True Blue Cafe just outside the Tenderloin area. They did end up moving, they are located at 28 Sixth St. between Market and Mission. Plan B was going to be like a good basset hound wondering around, letting my nose lead the way to delicious breakfast aromas, hoping I would find it again, lol. Plan A is much easier! That breakfast I had that day could have been a meal, and that's when eggs have made their way into my dinnertime meals. So this dish could be enjoyed for breakfast or dinner.



  • 1 egg
  • 2 slices bacon, (for a healthier version, you can use turkey bacon)
  • 2 slices of polenta, (the ready made type found in the Italian section or in the produce department, looks like a tube)
  • 2 small ripe tomatoes, cut into eighths,
  • 4 leaves of basil, chopped
  • Sriracha hot chili sauce
  • mayonnaise, about a tablespoon or so

Cut your bacon slices in half and fry them up in a non-stick pan. Drain them on a paper towel. Fry your polenta slices in the same pan, till crispy. Set it aside. Fry your egg the way you like, I like it over-easy, so the yolk becomes a sauce once it blends with the sauteed tomatoes, basil and Sriacha mayo. In a separate pan, saute your tomatoes in a little olive oil and once they are soft, stir in your basil. In a small bowl, stir your mayo with as much Sriracha sauce as you like, add more if needed. Now you are ready to assemble your dish. Place your polenta slices down, arrange the bacon around them, top with your egg, tomato basil sauce and drizzle with the Sriracha mayo. Enjoy!


I took an already enjoyed Sriracha sauce container and added mayo & more sauce, for convenience, when needing it on a sandwich. The one on the right, is in its' most purest form, my current condiment obsession.



No comments:

Post a Comment